Wednesday, March 9, 2011

37 Weeks 5 Days - Home Visit

Ahhhhh, the long awaited and postponed home visit with the midwives. We made egg bake with bacon and beans and served sparkling water. I loved when clients would cook for us during the home visit, always such a nice treat.

Since my last appointment I started feeling like I was asking too much of my midwives to take on the responsibility of photos and even some human support for the pups during the birth. After all, they are responsible for two lives. If there were three ladies, as they are used to working, it probably wouldn't have been such a big deal. But I really felt like I was requesting too much.

And though I am still a little sad about losing the privacy and intimacy I suddenly wanted, I asked a friend to help out - Marybeth. She was always on my list of prospects, but the last time I saw her she was in a bad job situation where she couldn't even take scheduled time off. And then, she got laid off and was being "underutilized" as she said.

Marybeth has great energy; very calm and unflappable. I met her at Birthingway, she's gone through doula training, knows Satchel and Maji, and most importantly, understands the importance, sexuality, and intimacy of birth, which I discovered is actually the most important thing when inviting someone to a birth.

She came over last night for a brief rundown of pup and camera responsibilities and it felt good. I have no worries about Marybeth attending the birth and neither does Dave. I don't even think she needs to come to a prenatal to meet the midwives since she is knowledgeable about the birthing process.

As for my body, during the Blessingway I got a knot in my upper left back, near my shoulder blade, that still feels like it might be the death of me. My left arm is numb to my palm and I sometimes feel the effects of the knot in my sacrum.

I went to the chiro who worked on it, but I swear made it worse. Since Sunday there are times when I can barely move my left arm and typing this blog post isn't helping at all. I have an appointment with healers Bob and Donna on Friday, so hopefully the knot is gone by then or they can fix me.

I've identified that my placenta is on the left side. I didn't even think about it's location until I was feeling my belly in my sleep the other night and realized I was palpating the placenta. Fetascope listening confirmed the swoosh of this marvelous organ. It's also interesting to note that baby isn't cuddly with his or her placenta.

I'm still feeling the wonderful energy of the Blessingway. It really was a special ceremony and I'm so grateful to everyone who shared the space with me. I put the cards and candles and special gifts I received on the fireplace mantle and love looking at the items as I sit on the couch.

BP: 118/76
Pulse: 60
Urine: 7.5 pH
FHT: 150's
Position: ROA (I like that better than ROT)
Fundal Height: 38
No weight check this visit since it's in the home.

Gave the home tour to the midwives, warned them about the Kosher Kitchen's lack of sanitation, got the birth tub and shared a nice meal. Maji was enthralled with Laurie, who is also pregnant and Satchel stood watch while the midwives played with baby and took my vitals.

No comments:

Post a Comment