Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Getting the House Ready

Every time I make a big baby move, like register or my mom buys us something I get a little anxiety that I'm moving too fast, and what if things don't work out. I'm happy to say that each time this happens it is less than the last time.

My mom called today to say she was placing the order for a crib and dresser. After my initial excitement, I got worried. I mean a crib and dresser is the real thing. It's furniture that sits out in the bedroom and waits for baby. And I'm only 20 weeks.

But the feeling went away and that was nice.

Dave has been feeling a little overwhelmed with the amount of stuff that is about to enter our space. We've spent our lives together trying not to accumulate and now we're in the biggest accumulation period we've ever been a part of - and he hasn't even looked at the registry yet.

I understand how he feels. Totally. And I understand his feelings of crowdedness when he thinks about having to give up his second office upstairs for the baby space. Though it's funny to joke that Dave has a poetry and a writing office, it really is where he goes to work on his creative stuff, away from the work pressure in his downstairs office.

Dave wants to build a writing cabin in the yard. That's not actually a possibility. So, I've drawn up a plan to move some furniture out of his second office to make room for the cedar chest, I bid on an awesome 7x10 area rug for the middle of the bedroom, and we'll make that space the baby space.

Really, it makes better sense anyway. The middle space of our bedroom is essentially used as a hallway now, but is big enough for a crib, dresser and play area. Plus it's closer to our bed - not that baby will be sleeping in the crib at night for awhile.

So I'm warming the space up. I plan to hang a thick blanket on the wall behind the crib to keep the draft out, the rug will be a nice add and I can find some holiday lights to invite in a nice glow. A perfect baby space! Yay me.

No comments:

Post a Comment