Sleep is the word to describe the third trimester. It's different than my need to sleep during the beginning of pregnancy. That was more about being so nauseous that all I could do was lay down and feel like hell. The second trimester I was tired, but that was because I was feeling so good that I was able to work a lot and do a bunch of stuff.
The third trimester is simply draining. I feel great overall, but need lots of sleep. And the sleep is inconsistent. For example, Monday I got 8 hours of great sleep, Tuesday a solid 10 (with 3 pee breaks) and last night was a spotty 7. No matter how much sleep I'm getting at night, I still usually need a nap in the morning.
I like to wake up, eat a pre-breakfast, do dishes, check my email, then lay back down on the couch. Sometimes the morning naps are 20 minutes and other times 2 hours. If I don't get my morning nap because I have things to do or because it feels like I don't need one, I'm usually feeling it by the afternoon.
For some reason I'm unable to go back to sleep this morning. I even tried getting back in bed with sleeping Dave and passed out Satchel (he takes my place the second I get out of bed), but it didn't work. I'm actually feeling quite lonely this morning and wish Dave would wake up, but he didn't get home until around midnight last night, so I'll let him sleep longer.
But like I said, overall I feel great. Ever since the chiro fixed my back it no longer tightens (even when I don't go to yoga). With my new once a week swimming practice I've found that I've naturally cut back on yoga from 3-4 times a week to 2-3 times, and usually more on the 2 side.
I do have some mid-back tightness and my shoulders are really inflexible, but that's nothing that feels unbearable at all (and will probably get worse with breastfeeding). Overall, my body is doing just great and I'm really proud of it. I feel like my lifetime of athletics (minus those hazey years in college) have really paid off.
There is something I hate: walking. It puts so much pressure on my bladder that I have to pee the minute I leave the house until I get home. This means the pups usually get jipped out of their regular hour walk and we now go for 30 minutes, if they're lucky. I feel bad, especially on these sunny January days, but even when I squat behind a tree to pee I still have to go if I continue walking. And I seem to get really bored when I walk. This never used to happen to me but now, if I'm not on the phone with someone I can barely stand being out there. Walking will definitely not be a way to induce labor for me.
I also hate my maternity coat. I mean, I love that I have one, but I hate how heavy and large it is. It's wool and big and adds about 25 pounds to my body. I feel I can barely move in it and then add a pair of boots to the mix when it's raining and I feel like I'm walking through 4 feet of snow.
The walking the dogs and the subsequent squatting to wipe their paws and take off my heavy boots and coat is about the most difficult thing going on with this pregnancy.
That sounds so...something. But I really am lucky to not have to work during this time. If I was at the birth center my body would be killing me and I'd be unhappy and if I were working in an office, sitting in a chair for 9 hours a day, my body would be a wreck in a different way.
Having this time to get myself and the house prepared for the birth has been a blessing. A blessing that sometimes leaves me feeling guilty about how I spend my time and scared about money, but I have nothing to do but have faith that it will all work out, because it always does, and know that this is what I need to be doing for this particular pregnancy.
Thursday, January 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment