Tuesday, January 18, 2011

It's Childbirth Education Time



Dave and I are beginning our in-home childbirth and parenting education workshops. They last about 20 - 40 minutes and begin at random times when Dave has the availability.

We watched Happiest Baby on the Block and as you can see from the pictures, we've already practiced swaddling and babywearing with the Moby. We have a few more sling positions and types of slings to figure out how to use. Oh, and we need to figure out how to use those ready-made swaddlers. I have a few, each one is different, and they seem confusing to me. After that we will be focusing on:

~ Each of us identifying our fears around childbirth and parenting
~ Common hospital interventions for mom and baby
~ What early labor looks like
~ Ways Dave can help me during labor
~ Problem solving during labor (like if I tell him I can't stop shaking, he'll already know what that means and what he can do)
~ Comfort measure activity
~ Practice labor positions

We stopped reading The Birth Partner together in December, about half way through, because it seemed to stop being useful after awhile. In place of that we did start reading Beowulf out loud and that has been way more fun.

And while Dave and I practice baby things, Satchel is brushing up on his obedience training with a Canine Good Citizen class. It's been fun for Dave and I to attend, while Satchel is grateful his brain won't turn to mush this winter. Once Satchel's class ends we're going to try and squeeze in a class for Maji, perhaps Games and Tricks, before baby arrives.



1 comment:

  1. Miss you! Your plan for cbe sounds very organized though. Love mock-baby swaddled.

    ReplyDelete