Sunday, March 28, 2010

Morning Sickness in a Nutshell

Ohh the torture of morning sickness. At times it really does feel like you're being poisoned everyday.

So why does that happen? What's the purpose? Why can I only eat crackers and cream cheese? And how long will this last?

There are a few possibilities as to why "morning" sickness occurs:

1. Concentrated amounts of hormones without the dilution benefit of increased blood supply. As blood volume expands, nausea tends to disappear.
2. Hypoglycemia, usually caused from an inability to eat because of nausea.
3. Change in metabolism

All this leads to a vicious cycle of being nauseous and not able to eat. And the only thing that is really able to break this pattern is eating. But who wants to eat when they feel like they just got off the salt-n-pepper shakers at the local fairgrounds?

But this is all good. A woman who is nauseous is less likely to miscarry than one who isn't. And if you are fortunate enough to vomit, then you know things are really working. I try to think of it as a sign that my baby is doing just fine.

2 comments:

  1. I think you must be having a girl :) Your symptoms are all too familiar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally disagree. Boy all the way.

    ReplyDelete