Saturday, April 10, 2010

Cold Sores and Pregnancy

I first got cold sores in 5th grade and was sick on the couch for over a month. The primary outbreak is always the worst. Ever since then I would get a blistery mass of crap on my lips every few weeks until 1999 when I discovered the remedy that worked for me.

In my last year of college I tried this treatment, which won't do anything for the current outbreak, but it will prevent further eruptions:

At the onset of any tingling, take twelve Kyolic garlic capsules, then take three every four hours (while awake) for three days.

So eleven years later I get my first cold sore again. Herpes hangs out in your nerves and becomes permanently incorporated with your cell DNA - it can never really be cured. For whatever reason the garlic is able to suppress it for long periods of time. But with pregnancy, all bets are off.

During pregnancy you are inherently under more stress because of all the physical and emotional changes you are going through. Couple that with a particularly stressful day or perhaps a poor diet and out comes the cold sores again.

I'm trying the garlic treatment again and hoping it works just as well as it did in college. Man I hate these things.


1 comment: