Tuesday, April 19, 2011

WHAT I HOPE FOR YOU

WHAT I HOPE FOR YOU

To Lazadae

I hope you think of me as that guy
with the warm chest you slept on for hours
your first night alive in room 2506
of Emanuel’s family wing, but I hope
I never remind you of that, Lazadae, like when
you’re 16 and you steal a knife from the mall
kiosk because your mother used to steal things
like that when she was 16 and you have
petty thrill-based theft in your genes.
After we bring you home from the backroom
security where men discussed your permanent
record, I hope I don’t say something trite
like reminding you what a traumatic experience
your birth was, how your mother labored
at home for three days until your bowels
began to empty inside of her and we drove
in dark quiet to the hospital where she was
numbed then splayed open on the surgical slab,
her bladder pushed aside so two rubbered hands
could thumb you out and away from all you knew
of wet warmth, and how you were upside down
from how you should have been, breech,
wanting to enter the world with your toes
in your mouth. I hope I don’t tell you about the surgeon
handing you off under white lights to a woman
who was not your mother who scrubbed the blue
from your skin, cleared your lungs of all
you could not cough during birth. And I hope
I don’t remind you how you didn’t cry until I put
my hand on your limp arm and said through my surgical
mask, You’re here, Lazadae,

calling you the name that came to your mother
in a dream when you were just a splitting cell,
when she dreamt of pulling a tray of lasagna
from our oven and told me in the morning
she thought she was pregnant, then made up a word
over tea, Lazadae. The name waited for you there
in the operating room, stained my lips red as I said it
over and over and you cried first breaths. I hope
when people ask what kind of name is Lazadae
you tell a story all your own, flex your wild thumbs
and say it involves unicorns, forest nymphs, that Laz
means this and dae means that and with the unstressed
ah in the middle your name is a dactyl, perfect for a poem.
And if you shorten your name I hope you do better
than some text-generation moniker like LZA LOL
because, Lazadae, I hate that stuff. But I hope
you don’t care what your father likes or hates, and when
you don't care I hope I don't care. But I will, Lazadae.

I’ll care, but still hope you bloom into a creature
beyond your mother and me, that your legs grow long,
your eyes speak poems, your mind never takes a thing as truth
because someone says so. I hope your whole generation
is like this, Lazadae, that you and all your breech brethren
born in the dark of April in the year of the Rabbit
untangle the metaphors from the Psalms,
that you bury the nails of war, burn all currency
until you achieve a clan of rarefied vision. But I hope you don’t
try to do any of that, Lazadae, not if you wish to blend, be a girl
with pink gum in her hair, sleep with a baseball glove, find love
long before you’re old enough to know it hurts. More
than anything, Lazadae, I hope you know that songs live
in the sway of leaves and shadows, that the sounds you make
as you feed at your mother are music, that your mother’s voice
is melody, that I am merely a flute, and that you, Lazadae,
are the wind, the drum, the rhythm of new hot blood.

- Dave Jarecki

2 comments:

  1. I've been patiently waiting for a an update on here and I'm so happy it came from you, Dave. I've wondered about your words these days.

    ReplyDelete